4.7.12

Karaj Legantoj,

I really enjoy the saying "Karaj Aŭskultantoj."

In other, more relevant neŭs-- I mean, "news"-- I am still in Cerulean. I've felt rather distracted lately, but I am working. I've run across something interesting: In the original Japanese, the names of the badges are merely reflective of the colour of the town they come from. In other languages, though, they have more varied names. I'm somewhat torn between these two methods and I don't know which I like better.

I've adopted a more expedited method of translation which involves skipping the names of Pokemon, Items and Attacks that I don't know off the top of my head. These can all be filled in later with search-and-replace and then cleaned up in a second read-through.

So, Google (bless their hearts, as we say where I am from) has a translation tool thingy similar to Google Docs. It allows for line-by-line translation, word indices and side-by-side script comparison. All of this is well and good, except for one issue: when you upload a file to be used, it automatically translates the entire document via Google Translate, which is problematic because Google Translate is often less-than accurate and makes a lot of stupid, stupid mistakes. I'd spend more time fact-checking and correcting Google's translation than it would take me to simply translate it myself. I also only want the game script translated, the surrounding explanations are useful for the translation process.

Also, I ended up doing 30% of the Google Glass demo subtitles in Esperanto. They're probably pretty bad, but no one else was doing it and I felt like I had to. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that the site they're using allows for a bunch of people to each translate a part, so one person has to do it all and upload it. I think that's how it is.

I never realised how often we say things like "a little," "some," "a bit," and "yeah," until I ended up typing "iom" and "kelka" like, thirty times. Don't even get me started on "yeah." Not having slang equivalents of words can lead to some pretty stale and silly-sounding dialogue.

**EDIT**

Forgot to mention: Having just finished playing through Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, I've kind of fallen in love with it a little bit. I couldn't find a copy of the game script, but I have sent an email to the creators asking if I could have a copy of it with which to do a translation. It's really short and the dialogue repeats a lot of phrases, so once I got those knocked out I'd be able to finish it really quickly.

Also: If anyone can find me the lyrics to TEAM's "Kapon Redonu," I will be eternally grateful. I've tried with all my might, but have come to the conclusion that they do not exist on the internet at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment